Zoo Crew Teen Volunteer Program
Zoo Crew is a program that is designed to give teens the opportunity to volunteer at the zoo. Participants will be providing various zoo departments with additional (volunteer) help, and help make the zoo a more exciting place to visit, while building confidence and being role models to peers and the community.
ZOO CREW APPLICATIONS CLOSED FOR 2023
* APPLICATION SUBMISSION DEADLINE WAS APRIL 30, 2023 *
Contact Corey, Education Department Curator
774-203-1844 | email@example.com
What the kids say about the program:
‘…Zoo Crew is the most rewarding and fulfilling experience imaginable. Being able to help others better understand the world around them and knowing that you’ve sparked even one person’s interest in wildlife is the most incredible feeling…’
‘…Zoo Crew has helped me to make friendships that I know will continue, even when we’ve all grown out of the program. Having been a part of the program for four years, its has become an integral part of my life and who I am today…’
‘…In my three years of volunteer work at the zoo, I have become more open to majoring in sciences or zoology. What I have experienced and learned as a part of Zoo Crew continues to open my eyes to new fields of study…’
‘…I love the sense of community between staff and crew…’
‘…Zoo Crew is like a big family and I feel that when I go to the zoo I can be myself. Everyone is supportive and caring and have helped me to grow and learn…’
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
- Help participants develop self-confidence through interaction with the public in both one-to-one and group situations;
- Help participants develop a stronger educational background in zoo conservation efforts by being a part of the Capron Park Zoo culture;
- Provide the Education Departments with additional volunteer help during the zoo’s summer season;
- Create a feeling of ownership in the zoo, as well as it’s conservation efforts and educational programs;
- Provide a more in-depth and experiential visit for zoo patrons of all ages;
- Allow participants to show they can be positive role models for their peers and community.
DUTIES (including but not limitied to):
- Interact with the general zoo-going public in a variety of ways: using education kits, exhibit discussions, informal chats
- Interact with Summer Zoocademy participants and assist Zoocademy staff in a variety of ways: Assisting with activities (in the zoo, park and occasionally off grounds (at a pre-selected location), prep and clean up of activities (on zoo grounds and in park)
- Assisting with various special events throughout the year
- MUST BE AT LEAST 13 YEARS OLD TO PARTICIPATE – NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Must be physically able to perform all tasks
- Prepared to speak with public in an informal educational setting
- Prepared to assist with a variety of tasks: prep/clean up for programming of all sorts, special events, etc.